bitprecise arithmetic

May 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Is there a plan to enable bitprecise arithmetic in Dafny? (such as translating to bitvector expressions in smt-lib2)

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

No.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM

May I ask why?

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Yes. :)

Simply a matter of my time.  I have many other things I'd rather do (like the recent additions of iterators, refinement, co-induction, ...).  (Someone else could implement them.  Perhaps you already have?)

A related feature that is higher on my priority list is integer subrange types.  There is currently one integer subrange type, "nat", which stands for the natural numbers.  Having more full-fledged support of integer subranges would mean one could define the Int32 subrange and obtain programs whose numerical computations at run-time do not require the memory allocator (as the unbounded integers do today).  The cost, of course, would be having to prove the absence of overflows.  Something tricky about integer subranges is type inference, which isn't solved entirely satisfactorily even for "nat" today.

Rustan

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Thanks.  All of those sound more interesting than bitprecise arithmetic. :)  I was merely curious whether or not it even makes sense to translate to bitvectors due to the complexity of the decision procedures.  When you say the problem of subrange type inference isn't solved, why is that?  Isn't just Presburger arithmetic?

stan

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

HI Stan,

Type inference usually gets tricky once you add subtyping and overloading.  Dafny has both, in certain restricted ways.  Overloading, because built-in operators like "+" in A + B can mean arithmetic addition, set union, multiset union, map union, or sequence concatenation, depending on the type of A and B.  Subtyping, because "object" is a supertype of all reference types and because "nat" is a sub-range type of "int".  Because of these restrictions, it may not be impossible to define an algorithm for type inference.

In the following, I describe three issues with special ties to Dafny.  (They are not necessarily problems, just things to think about.)

One commonly encountered problem in Dafny that an improved type inference algorithm would solve is this.  Suppose "Repr" is a field of type "set<object>" and you want to do:

Repr := {this} + {this.p};

or:

Repr := {this, this.p};

where "p" is of some reference type other than that of "this".  Today, Dafny gives a type-checking error, forcing you to have to rewrite this as:

Repr := {this};
Repr := Repr + {this.p};

The rewrite works, because when an operand to + is of type set<object>, then Dafny is happy to coerce the other to set<object> as well.  It would be nice if the programmer didn't have to do this rewrite manually.

In the example I just gave, it is clear what we want the outcome to be.  That's not always as clear, as I explain in this next issue.  Suppose F is a function that takes and returns a "nat":

function F(n: nat): nat

Consider a statement:

var x := F(15);

What should be the inferred type of "x"?  "nat" is a possibility, but what if the code continues with:

x := x - F(x);

In a language where static checking ends with type checking, this might be a problem to which one would apply a most elaborate and complicated solution, trying to figure out when "x" can stay a "nat" or when it has to instead be an "int".  In Dafny, it seems one can get away with something much simpler, namely:  infer the type to be the coarser-grained ("base type") "int" and check any further int-to-nat coercion by the (static) verifier.  Hence, in this case, there seems to be no harm in inferring just base types.

In this regard, subranges seem different than the subtyping that "object" gives rise to, because if "c" is a reference of class type "C", then you would want "{c}" to be of type set<C>--you won't want the type inference algorithm to leap to the "base" type and inferr set<object>.

Note also that the coercion-checked-by-the-verifier trick would not always be pleasant.  For example, a coercision from List<int> to List<nat>, where List<T> is the standard datatype for list of T's, may require an inductive proof.  And a coercsion from List<C<int>> to List<C<nat>>, where C<T> is some class with fields of type T, would require a proof that depends on the state of the heap (and, in fact, would be unsafe in the presence of changes in the heap).  Heap-dependent coersions should probably be forbidden; the others could be allowed, but would require some engineering of the verifier in order to set up provable proof obligations.  (Note that the List<int> to List<nat> coercion does not look very appealing for run-time checking either, in languages where that is of concern.)

The third issue concerns quantifications.  Consider an expression

forall x :: F(x) < 100

In order for this expression to be well-formed, "x" must be a "nat" (that is, "x" must be an integer at least 0).  If the type of "x" is inferred as "int", then the verifier would complain about a violated precondition for F.  That's probably how type inference should behave.  Unfortunately, it means the programmer has to manually write:

forall x :: 0 <= x ==> F(x) < 100

or

forall x: nat :: F(x) < 100

Note that for bound variables of quantifiers, it really matters what the inference does--the more values the types allow, the stronger the universal quantifier is!  For example, although "nat" is a possible typing of:

forall n :: n <= 2*n

the quantifier is "true" with "n: nat" but "false" with "n: int".

Rustan